Lanner calls its new NS04-3100 a next generation ”Media Storage and Content Server for the Digital Home.” NS04-3100 is what you could call a NAS (Network Attached Storage) with plenty more features than the average NAS unit. It comes with Gigabit Ethernet and IEEE 802.11g/b wireless LAN, and can stream media to several applications including Media Center, iTunes or any other DLNA compliant hardware/application. Lanner NS04-3100 has a built-in UPnP Media Server (Audio/Video), which along with the DLNA support, makes the NS04-3100 a highly compatible media server.
Lanner NS04-3100 has room and support for four SATAII (3 Gbps) drives. The drives can be set up in various RAID configurations (0,1,5) and JBOD. Lanner also bundles backup and recovery software for those that want to use their NAS for more than just a Media Server.
NS04-3100 Feature Summary
- Marvel 88F5281 Processor : 35 + MBps file sharing performance with minimal power draw.
- Large Storage Capacity: Four Serial ATA drives
- RAID Data Protection: RAID 0, 1, 5 and JBOD
- DHCP and FTP Server: Easy network integration
- UPnP AV and iTunes Server: Stream music directly to iTunes or network media device
- OS Support: Windows 2000/XP/Vista, Linux and Mac OS X
- System backup and restore: Optional software package for business orientated clients
”The consolidated media server market has witnessed considerable growth since we released the awarding winning NS04-4100 storage server for the SMB market. The home storage market is now at a point where consumers are realizing the benefits and are actively seeking cost-effective solutions for sharing content in and around the home,” – Allen Chang, Associate Vice President, Storage Group
NAS is indeed a great way of sharing the media around the house and with wireless network support you can hide your media server pretty easily, although this one doesn’t exactly need hiding as it comes with a rather appealing design.